Hot Posts


University of Pennsylvania Scholarship for international students, Apply here.

 International Student Financial Aid, University of Pennsylvania

Scholarships for International students, Apply here.

International students aid.

An overview of financial aid options for eligible international undergraduate students, including important tax information. 

Financial aid resources for international undergraduate students are limited, and Penn practices need-aware admissions for students who are not citizens or permanent residents of the U.S., Canada, or Mexico. International students who wish to apply for institutional need-based financial aid must do so at the same time they apply for admission to Penn. International students who are not admitted with financial aid in their first year are not eligible to apply for financial aid at a later point in their undergraduate program.

That said, Penn’s grant-based financial aid policy fully applies to admitted international students, and Penn commits to meet 100% of their demonstrated need with grant funds and work-study, just like any other undergraduate student. The University provides over $10 million each year in financial aid to students who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States, Canada, or Mexico.

Because international students are generally not eligible for federal funding, any financial aid received will be in the form of institutional funding. This includes grant funds and work-study. International students interested in pursuing a loan should speak to a financial aid counselor and will likely need to identify a U.S. co-signer.

Important Tax Information

As an international student, please keep in mind that a portion of any grant funding you receive from Penn may be subject to U.S. taxes. You will see a charge on your student account indicating any taxes Penn has paid on your behalf. Note that these taxes cannot be covered by additional grant funding from Penn. You may be able to recoup some of this funding by filing an annual tax return. For more information about international students and U.S. taxes, click here.

International Student Banking

We strongly encourage international students to open a U.S. bank account while studying at Penn. There are multiple bank options near Penn's campus that you can visit to open an account. 




2024/2025 Financial Aid Application Checklist

In order to be considered for Penn need-based financial aid, you must apply for financial aid at the same time you apply for admission. International students cannot apply for financial aid after being admitted. 

STEP 1: CSS Profile

Submit the CSS Profile online to the College Board. The 2023-2024 CSS Profile is available beginning October 1, 2023. 

Penn’s CSS code is 2933.

Note: Financial aid information is required from both biological parents to determine a student's financial aid award. If your parents are unmarried, divorced, or separated, it is very important that you follow the directions below, as your application will not be considered complete until you submit information about your parents.

> If your parents are unmarried but you all live in the same household, you can fill out the CSS Profile and list them as Parent 1 and Parent 2

> If your parents are divorced or separated, your non-custodial parent must submit the online Non-Custodial Profile using the login ID and password that will be emailed to you when you complete the CSS Profile. Your non-custodial parent is the parent you live with for less than 50% of the time.

> If you are having challenges collecting your non-custodial parent's application requirements, then you may submit a petition to have these requirements waived. Submitting a petition does not guarantee it will be approved, and you may be asked for more information. Requests based solely on your non-custodial parent's unwillingness to contribute or submit documents do not qualify for a waiver. If your petition is denied, your non-custodial parent's financial information will be a required component of your financial aid application every year you apply for need-based aid. 

If you have any questions, please contact The Office of Admissions at

STEP 2: Penn Financial Aid Supplement (PFAS)

Submit the PFAS online. Log in access to the PFAS will be available after you receive your Penn Applicant Portal access from Admissions. 

If you receive an error message, or if you are unable to submit an online PFAS, please download a paper Penn Financial Aid Supplement.

STEP 3: Tax Return/Income Statement (Required)

If your parents file a tax return in their country of residence, both the original and a translated copy of the return (if not in English) should be uploaded after you submit the PFAS. If your parents don’t file an income tax document, submit a wage statement, pay slip, or letter from their employer(s) on company letterhead stating their annual income.

How to Submit Documents to SRFS

Please send your tax returns directly to SFS, as Penn does not participate in CSS/IDOC Services.

To ensure the privacy of your information, please do not submit documents via email. 

Online Submission (Preferred)

Document Submission Portal


Student Financial Services
University of Pennsylvania
Franklin Building, Room 005
3451 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6270

Note: Don't file taxes? You still need to submit a Non-Tax Filer Form confirming your non-filer status or your application will remain incomplete.

Post a Comment